Shallow Graves by Kali Wallace
Published by Katherine Tegan Books
Published on January 26, 2016
Genres: Mystery, Paranormal, Young Adult
Buy on Amazon--Buy on B&N
Add to Goodreads
For fans of Holly Black and Nova Ren Suma, a gripping, hauntingly atmospheric novel about murder, revenge, and a world where monsters—human and otherwise—lurk at the fringes.
When seventeen-year-old Breezy Lin wakes up in a shallow grave one year after her death, she doesn’t remember who killed her or why. All she knows is that she’s somehow conscious—and not only that, she’s able to sense who around her is hiding a murderous past. In life, Breezy was always drawn to the elegance of the universe and the mystery of the stars. Now she must set out to find answers and discover what is to become of her in the gritty, dangerous world to which she now belongs—where killers hide in plain sight and a sinister cult is hunting for strange creatures like her. What she finds is at once empowering, redemptive, and dangerous.
Tense, complex, and wholly engaging, Shallow Graves is a stunning first novel from Kali Wallace.
This book turned out to be something I hadn’t expected. I knew we were going to be dealing with a zombie type thing, but I failed to realize that there were going to be other types of monsters and even some magic! It was awesome.
“I told you not to go into the basement.”
“When has that ever worked? I’m a girl in a horror movie. I have to go into the basement.”
Breezy is a unique kind of “zombie”, if that is even what you would call her. The normal zombie seeks out brains or bodies to fill their insatiable hunger. But Breezy has a hunger for something else, and she has a special skill that helps her seek out what she craves. She ended up on the strangest path that opened her eyes to truths about the world that most humans don’t know about. Could you imagine waking up after being dead for a year, with no recollection of how you died? What would you do? Here are some things I would if I woke up in Breezy’s situation:
- First of all, I hope I wake up with a sweet ability like hers. I will be very angry if I wake up from the dead and don’t have something cool going on.
- I would be desperate to find out what happened to me. I need the 5 W’s: Who, what, when, where, why? I need answers.
- Then I would need to decide if I should kill the person who killed me. I’m a revenge seeking kind of gal.
- I would desperately want to be with my family, but that seems like a hard thing for people to grasp. I would check on them, but not interfere with their lives.
- I would try to think up all the cool things I could do with the advantage of my new, undead state. After all, I’m going to need something to kill the time.
- PRANKS! So many pranks.
- Also, I’m thinking I could do the whole Batman thing – superhero vigilante stuff.
Maybe along my journey I would meet some characters like Breezy did. I loved Zeke and Jake! I wanted more of both of them. I liked their attitudes, seemingly sarcastic and uncaring, but actually they were big softies when it came down to it. Outside of them, you find find many likable people (monsters?) in this book.
The writing in this book is beautiful. The story is tragic, dark, and bloody. The mystery of what happened to her holds out until the end. Overall, I really enjoyed this book. My only real issue was that when we were experiencing what I think was meant to be the big final moment of the book, it kind of fell flat. It started out great then suddenly was anticlimactic. The story wrapped up well, but I just felt like there was so much lead up to a certain event, and then it just didn’t deliver what I think readers will be expecting. I definitely would still happily read more books by Wallace, because this book was creative and so well written! Definitely unique.
Follow the Tour!
1/18: No BS Book Reviews
1/19: Sassy & Dangerous
1/21: Paperback Princess
1/22: Fangirl Confessions
Latest posts by Portia (see all)
- Portia’s Review: Until It Fades by K.A. Tucker - June 6, 2017
- Portia’s Review: The Player by Claire Contreras - October 10, 2016
- Blog Tour + Portia’s Review + GIVEAWAY: Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco - September 12, 2016